May 27, 2013

Kokeshi Dolls

I have had a new obsession...Kokeshi Dolls. Kokesh are Japanese dolls, originally from northern Japan. They are handmade from wood, have a simple trunk and an enlarged head.

I found some amazing inspiration from this pinterest board.



I decided to make my own.



First I went to my local craft store and found some pieces in the wood section that would work for a head and body. I glued the pieces together with E600 glue. I let it dry for a day and then gave the figures a bas coat of white.

Working on some some kokeshi dolls. #kokeshidolls

I then drew with a pencil what I wanted my Kokeshi dolls to be. I decided to make mine a super hero and the man in the moon. I then took my acrylic paint and started painting.

Here is how my super hero ended up. My daughter calls her Super Purple. This would be a fun activity to do with your children. My daughter loved helping me.



I am still working on my man in the moon. I will post photos of him shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment